» News

Universal Acquires Geneon

by - on the 12 November, 2008 at 6.09 pm

Today it was announced that the Hollywood giant Universal Picture International Entertainment (commonly known as Universal) have acquired the majority ownership of Geneon Japan, with a shareholding of 80.1%. The remaining 19.9% is left with the previous owners, Dentsu.

How this is going to effect Geneon USA is currently unknown, as earlier this year many of their licenses went to Funimation for distribution. Furthermore, it’s likely that they will simply merge and a new name for this famous company will be produced.

Many Geneon titles used to be distributed in the UK via MVM; however, if this merger will affect the UK us currently unknown.

Source: Anime News Network

Spread the word!